A lot can happen in a year, and nowhere is that more evident than in the success of Barnes & Noble’s NOOK Study™ application. Since its launch at the beginning of the 2010-2011 academic year, NOOK Study has been downloaded nearly one million times at more than 5000 colleges and universities. This free, feature-rich eTextbook reader application gives students the tools they need to get the most out of their academic experience. Best of all, no special equipment is needed. NOOK Study works on the computers (PC or Mac) students already own.
NOOK Study is unlike any other product on the market because it was built from the ground up with student and faculty input. NOOK Study delivers an engaging and enriching digital experience and gives students the opportunity to manage all their digital content – eTextbooks, class materials, and notes – all in one place.
NOOK Study also delivers benefits to instructors though its Blackboard building block – released last fall. At campuses across the country with Blackboard Learn™ 8.0, 9.0 and 9.1, faculty discovered the unique features of eTextbooks accessed through NOOK Study and the beneficial impact it can have on their class prep and student achievement. We will expand the reach of NOOK Study later this year by integrating the application with other learning management programs.
What can you do with NOOK Study?
- Organize Coursework – Keep all your books, presentations, handouts and assigned readings in one convenient spot.
- Import Documents – Add content such as course handouts, lectures notes, and course syllabi directly into NOOK Study.
- Dual View – Compare and contrast author viewpoints by having two books open together. Read a side-by-side translation or open to different pages in the same textbook at once.
- Highlight & Mark-Up – Color code your highlights for different concepts. Mark up questions to ask your professor and asterisk interesting topics for class discussion.
- Take Notes – Add notes directly in your book and see a consolidated list of all your notes with just one click. Save helpful reference sites in your notes.
- Add Tags – Tag your notes with easy-to search terms like “midterm” so you can quickly find them when you need them.
- Research Online – Look up definitions or formulas from web sites such as Google and Dictionary.com
- Find & Search – Search for a term in your notes through one book or your entire library to find exactly what you’re looking for.
- Accessibility/ Text-to-Speech: Read text out loud when allowed by publisher permission. Accessibility/ Keyboard Navigation: Navigate throughout the application without the use of a mouse.
- Print & Copy – Print: Print critical pages you need for quick reference. Copy: Copy paragraphs or pages from your eBook to your paper in a few simple clicks.
- Export Notes – Print your notes for class or email them to a friend by exporting them easily into a Word or Text file.
NOOK Study will continue to evolve and improve. In the coming months we’ll launch new enhancements and features designed exclusively for the college market.
Learn more about the great features, upgrades, and benefits of NOOK Study at http://www.nookstudy.com/college or contact your Barnes & Noble College bookstore manager.